Dear Ski Team Families,
We are excited for our 4th annual Gala on the Mountain on March 26th at Sundance Resort in the Redford Conference Center. Last year's event was a huge success! The money raised at last years Gala has allowed our foundation to provide scholarships, and equipment for the entire team to use for the 2018/2019 season.
This year’s Gala will be another amazing night! We will be announcing our second annual “Higher Level Human” award. Each year we give this award to a true role model in our community, someone who exemplifies the attributes we are trying to instill in our athletes. We cannot wait to announce this year’s winner!
Arrowhead Ski Team - Equipment Seminar
Basics - Head to Snow
1) Helmets - Race Specific Helmet is required for both training and racing. No exceptions. U14 and older must have a FIS Sticker on their helmets.
2) Goggles - Good pair of goggles go a long way. Multiple lens options especially for night training is critical
3) Jacket and layers - Come dressed to the conditions. No cotton.
4) Pants - Full Zip Off pants are strongly suggested
5) Race Suit - Strongly suggested but not mandatory.
6) Thin pair of socks - never double layer or cotton
7) Boots - Most important piece of equipment, do not skimp, ‘grow in to’, or rent. • Must fit this criteria: Correct fit (they will be ‘tight’), not too stiff, not worn out (look at toes and heels and liner).
9) Skis - Most important thing about skis? Must be tuned and waxed WEEKLY.
Why? A pair of slalom and GS skis are highly encouraged for Comp Hybrid athletes. Fat skis are also crucial to this as well since we spend the majority of our time free skiing powder, crud, moguls, trees, etc. This teaches the athletes all of the fundamentals required for racing, plus it’s way more fun than just drill after drill and course after course. As we continue to grow, this is going to be extremely important to meet our philosophy of creating strong skiers first, racers second, and competitor’s of all. Race Vs. Recreational - Get the race ski. Don’t get a ‘Recreational Carver’.
No rentals. Please.
So… what should my athlete get?
This is dependent on each athlete, but here are our suggestions:
These will apply to Mavericks as well.
Sizes will vary; consult with your coach for which size to get.
Not everyone will need the “All in Packages” those are there for those that do.
Used is often a GREAT way to go for park and fat skis, not always for race skis, but sometimes you can get lucky.
Head over to the Outlaw Bike Team page to see how they did at one of the biggest bike events in the country!